When I awoke from the
Monday, December 15, 2014
Day I found out I had cancer
It was just a regular day in June until I went to use the bathroom. I soon realized the toilet bowl was full of blood. My immediate reaction was to take a picture and send to my wife because she thought her day was bad, so I was going to one up her with my photo. Soon we were off to the emergency room where a Dr told me I needed to get a colonoscopy and cancer at this time was the farthest thing from my mind. I had to wait almost 5 weeks for my appointment because my only available day was Monday since one of my employees had quit I had to do those jobs and train the new hire.
When I awoke from the colonoscopy I knew something was seriously wrong when I saw several vials full of samples and the look on the Dr's face was one of concern. She immediately told me that I most likely had cancer and that it was the biggest tumor she had seen in someone my age. I immediately went for a blood test to check my CEA level and a cat scan. Having just gotten a physical three weeks prior this came as a complete shock to me. I went home in shock and wondering just how bad my cancer is. Couple hours later my phone rang and I was told that there was a lesion on my liver about 2.5 inches in size and there were several smaller lesions and a couple extremely small lesions on the lung. Ok, Now I am FREAKING OUT!! When I heard this I was speechless and felt sick to my stomach. Suddenly the only thing that matters in your life is your family and friends. Of course the soonest you can get in to speak to an oncologist is a week! Waiting to see the Dr was painful. I cried a few times that week. Thought of all the things I want to see and do in the next few years. Things like seeing what happens to your nieces and nephews. I'm too young to die in the next few years. I met with Dr Tolman. Thank God for him. I believe he is a perfect match for me. He answers all my questions and is great at explaining things and told me what lit up in lungs is debatable whether its cancer or not. I was upset because I'm only 46. They don't recommend a colonoscopy until 50. My Dr assured me that most likely my cancer is genetic and the unfortunate thing about colo rectal cancer is, by the time you have symptoms its too late. I am lucky enough to have a very aggressive form of cancer. Not! :) He put me in a positive attitude and besides he used to play trombone and bass, loves to ski and drink craft beer and he was happy to give me a medical marijuana prescription the first day I met with him. I left feeling very positive about my future even though the odds of a full recovery of stage 4 colorectal cancer is 10% at best. Against all odds, I like my chances!
When I awoke from the
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment